Fit Together in Action October News
Fit Together 5210 Highlights: New School Partners
We are excited to announce two more schools have signed on to partner with Fit Together 5210- Winchester’s Batcheller Elementary School and Torrington’s Oliver Wolcott Technical High School.
They both are busy forming their wellness teams and their 5210 action plans for the year. Each school will also feature our cool Fit Together Bike Racks. Congratulations!
Fall Mini Grants Awarded
The Fit Together NWCT Steering Committee awarded five mini grants to Northwest CT organizations to support projects that align with Fit Together NWCT’s mission and strategies. We are pleased to announce the following recipients:
- Forbes School: Running Program
- Torrington Middle School: Fitness Trail Phase 2
- Oliver Wolcott Technical High School: Water Challenge
- NWCT YMCA Childcare: Y We MOVE
- Winsted Senior center: No Senior Left Behind Fitness Classes
Healthy Halloween Tips By Jess Stewart 5210 Coordinator
Remember balance and keep in mind Halloween is just one day a year, it’s what kids eat every day that has the most impact on their nutrition and health.
- Practice portion control: stick to the serving size on the back of the label
- Try to include fun spooky healthy Halloween snacks at parties
- Keep goodies out of sight, you and your kids will be less tempted
- Limit leftover candy:
- Toss it or donate it
- Show them the money: Have your kids cash in some of their candy
- Halloween Candy Buy- Back at Brooker Memorial $1 per pound (up to $5) November 1,2,4 for kids up to age 16 who use their Dental or Early Learning Center
Healthy Pumpkin Pie Dip Recipe
Serve this recipe as an appetizer or dessert because it tastes great dipped with sliced apples, pears or salty whole grain pretzels.
It's definitely a crowd pleaser that is easy to make, loaded with vitamin A, low in saturated fat and tastes amazing.
- 6 ounces, low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅓ cup, reduced fat Greek yogurt
- 15 ounces (1 can) roasted pumpkin, no sugar added
- 2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon all spice, ground
- 1 teaspoons cloves, ground
- ⅛ teaspoon, nutmeg, ground (a pinch!)
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- In a food processor, place cream cheese and Greek yogurt and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients in the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving with sliced fruit or salty whole grain pretzels.
Nutrition Information- Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons Serves 25 Calories: 35; Total Fat: 1g; Saturated Fat 1g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Sodium: 25mg; Total Carbohydrate: 5g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 3g; Protein: 1g