Fit Together in Action March News
Fit Together 5210 School Highlights: Torrington Middle School PE Teachers Promote Healthy Living
The Torrington Middle School was busy encouraging their students to lead a healthy lifestyle.
A new bulletin board featuring 5210 tips as well as school wide 5210 T.V. messages were implemented.
The P.E. teachers and the assistant principal even dressed up dressed up as fruits and veggies to greet the kids!
For more information about 5210, please contact Jessica Stewart, Fit Together 5210 Youth and Families Coordinator at (860)806-1825 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Nutrition Month®
National Nutrition Month® is an annual campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. During the month of March, we invite everyone to focus on the importance of making informed food choices, developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
This year’s theme is Eat Right, Bite by Bite – supporting the philosophy that every bite of nutrition can be a step in the right direction towards better health. Focusing on nutrition “bite by bite” is about making small changes to your eating style to help you live a healthful life.
- Eat a variety of Nutrition Foods Every Day
- Plan Your Meals Each Week
- Learn Skills to Create Tasty Meals.
- Consult a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)
For more information go to https://www.eatright.org/food/resources/national-nutrition-month/about-national-nutrition-month
Feeling the winter blues? Celebrate the fact that spring is right around the corner and try this fun, easy project with your worksite!
Create a healthy company cookbook
- Request that employees share their favorite healthy recipes
- Put together a compilation of the recipes
- Share! You can distribute the recipe book as a pdf, a simple printed booklet, or go all out and design a layout, insert the recipes, and bind your company’s healthy recipe cookbook.
For more information about worksite wellness, please contact Martha Kelley, Fit Together 5210 Worksite Coordinator at (860) 921-7464 or email@example.com.
The whole family will hop right up to sample this healthy treat— a delicious carrot bread recipe made with half whole-wheat flour.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour or whole-wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- ⅓ Cup canola oil
- ⅓ Cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ Cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 Cup raisins soaked in warm water and drained
- 1 cup grated carrots
- Grease and flour a loaf pan and Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat together egg, oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until combined. Stir in carrots and raisins.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Information- serving size: 1 slice Serves 16
Calories: 120; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 0.5g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Sodium: 75mg; Total Carbohydrate: 18g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars 11g; Protein: 1.5g