Fit Together in Action June News
Staying Active during COVID-19
Family life has changed dramatically as a result of coronavirus. Weeknights and weekends spent ferrying kids to and from extra-curricular activities and sports are on hold indefinitely.
So how do we redirect kid’s energy to activities they can enjoy safely? Exercise is important right now. Making sure daily exercise comes into your routine in the current health crisis is crucial. Now is the perfect time for parents to get outside and play with their kids. Shoot hoops with them, kick the soccer ball, and learn to dance. You could also go for a hike or pick a healthy snack like fresh strawberries at the local farm. Have family relay races in the backyard. The ideas are endless.
For more information about 5210, please contact Jessica Stewart, Fit Together 5210 Youth and Families Coordinator at (860)806-1825 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fit Together Awards Spring Mini Grants
We are pleased to announce the following Fit Together mini grant awardees:
- Winsted Senior Center Farm to Table summer CSA- this grant will help support 50 fresh local farm produce shares for the seniors
- Future Foundations Sensory Hallways- Tammie Lockwood director of the center says every bit of gross motor movement is beneficial and is excited to have a tool that can keep both kids and adults active.
- Touch less Water fountain stations for the Northwestern CT YMCA Torrington and Winsted locations. The YMCA will update four touch less bottle filling stations to help promote drinking water a healthier choice than sugar sweetened beverages.
Healthy Habits Photo Contest
Fit Together contest continues!
Winners are chosen for the best healthy habits shot plus the most votes. We have awarded six weekly $25 gift card winners and one monthly winner.
May’s winner Autumn won a $50 gift card to Amazon.
Join in on the fun, go to the Photo contest site and enter your pic!
Still working remotely? Try out these easy workouts to keep you moving throughout your day.
Sun-Dried Tomato Greek Wrap
This Greek-style Vegetarian wrap is a perfect lunch options to keep you full and satisfied. Wraps are easy to make and are great to grab for the whole family.
Prep Time 10 mins Cook Time 25 mins
Total Time 35 mins
• 1 head cauliflower
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 1/2 teaspoons za’atar seasoning
• 1 medium cucumber diced
• 1 cup Kale, chopped
• 4 ounces feta cheese
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 4 sun-dried tomato wraps any wrap is fine
• 1/2 cup roasted garlic hummus
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
1. For cauliflower, remove florets, wash and pat dry. The smaller the florets, the crispier they will be. Make sure they are not too big. Coat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with Za’atar. Roast for 25 minutes, tossing half way through.
2. While cauliflower is roasting, chop kale and dice cucumber.
3. Once cauliflower is cooked, combine with kale, cucumber, feta and juice of one lemon.
4. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
5. Spread each wrap with 2 tablespoons of hummus. Divide cauliflower mix evenly amongst each wrap. Wrap and serve.