Fit Together in Action July
Enjoy the great outdoors: Family Hiking
We live in such a beautiful area that allows us to hike and be connected with nature. Hiking is such a healing and empowering treasure that allows us that moment to forget for a short time what is happening in the world.
I found a few local hiking spots that I wanted to share with you. Happy Hiking!
- Burr Pond has a 2.5 mile loop Burr Pond
- Bear Mountain in Salisbury has a 6.5 mile round trip hike Bear MT
- Mt Tom State park has a trail that allows you to hike to the top of a tower Mt. Tom
- Kent Falls is one of my most favorite spots; here are just a few fun ideas. Kent Falls
For more information about 5210, please contact Jessica Stewart, Fit Together 5210 Youth and Families Coordinator at (860)806-1825 or email@example.com.
Summer Time Produce
A Very Berry Summer- It is National Blueberry Month
Whether we're talking about blueberries, strawberries, blackberries or raspberries, these sweet, colorful fruits are sure to make everyone happy. Check out this article all about the health benefits of berries from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: BERRIES
Pick your Own Farms and Farmers Markets
Head to one of our local pick your own farms or farmers markets to get berries and more! Pick Your OWN
You can also check out one of our many farmers markets in the area:
- Goshen market (Scoville Park) Saturday’s at 10 am
- Torrington Market 837 Charles Street, Tuesday 3-6 and Saturday 10-1
- Litchfield Market Center School ,Saturday’s 10-1
Healthy Habits Photo Contest
Fit Together contest continues! Winners are chosen for the best healthy habits shot plus the most votes. We have awarded six weekly $25 gift card winners and one monthly winner.
Join in on the fun, go to the Photo contest site and enter your pic!
GO TO: Photo Contest
Worksite Wellness- Healthy Snacks to Stash in Your Desk
Skip the vending machine with these healthy snacks for work that you can keep right at your desk. Snacking gets a bad reputation but it can be a great way to add nutrients to your day (think fiber and vitamins) and keep you from getting too hungry between meals.
Check out this list of 10 snacks for work will help you eat healthy when hunger strikes. Work Snacks
Rhubarb Berry Crisp
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup oats
- ¼ c butter melted
- 1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 c mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 1 c chopped rhubarb
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ Tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8”x8” baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make topping: mix sugar, oats, butter, cinnamon, and flour. Blend until crumbly. Set aside.
- To make filling: In large bowl, gently toss together berries, rhubarb, flour, sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Place in prepared baking dish. Cover with topping.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbling around edges. Serve warm.